Monday 7 May 2012

Dodging Awkward Questions

I dodge (and answer) of my fair share of awkward questions on a daily basis. Nothing is holy when it comes to younger kids. And closed doors is non existent.

And since my life just invites awkwardness, I'm a artful dodger.


Without going into any of the more awkward (and personal) questions, the most obvious will be why their dad doesn't stay with us anymore. Luckily this question doesn't pop up very often as they have never known a time when he was with us. But as luck would have it, everything they are taught in school points to a "perfect family". Dad + Mom + 2.5 kids. My ideal as well, but only with happiness included. It's the deal breaker for me. As a mom you happily give up a lot, adjust your schedule, work around the kids, postpone some things etc etc, but I will give up my own happiness. And one person can only try so many times.

Before anyone jumps on the truth wagon, I do tell them the truth. Always. But being 4 and 5 years old, they do sometimes ask the same questions time after time. When I am in a situation I can explain the whole long story to them, I do. But for those occasions you can not answer questions. I dodge. And distract. A new question directed at them normally does the trick..

1: "Mom, do you have a boyfriend?"

Me: "No, but hopefully one day".

2: "But don't you have dad?"

Me: "Ha ha, does anyone remember where we're going this afternoon?", while I crouch down and start tickling all three.

Me: "So, is everything packed? Are you ready for fun?"

Dodged.

Why am I not that worried? Because they are happiest, well behaved, beautiful little souls you will ever meet. And they never doubt for a second that they are loved. And will always be.







No comments:

Post a Comment