Friday 12 October 2012

Looking back and moving forward. The checklist.

Review time. A while ago, I made an attempt to “be the best 30 year old” I can be. So now I am 3 months in on my journey. I had a list of things I wanted to do and be. Some need revision. Some need a tick. Some I will ignore today.
    1.    Find a great job or a good job at a great company and work myself up.

So I settled a bit on this one. I love the job I’ve been doing this last two years. But it is project work and not steady. And since I already had a rocky marriage, I can not have a rocky career as well! I’m all for steady now. And I’m working on it. I’ve never stopped applying. And I might have my current contract extended for a
2.    Find a new house.

I could have done this. But for once I decided to take a step back and wait. I am blessed with a great relationship with my parents. So living there has been fine. I would have said great, but I am 30 and I am used to having my own space. 2013,the year of the new house.
3.    Take my 3 to the beach for a holiday.

I was hoping for November or January. But it seems a December in Cape Town is on the cards.

4.    Take a roadtrip for a fun weekend away and 5. Go to Cape Town for the weekend away. This one I want to do alone or with a friend or two.

That has got as far as having a promised ticket from my two bestest people on this earth. And a planned few days in the mother city. I said: “the year is almost over we should probably aim for January / February”. She said: “You are forgetting November”. Can’t forget that month!

5.    Tripple challenge and running again (Easy 10km, trying 15km and my first 21.1km).

I always do 10km, so that was a run in the park. And I absolutely loved the 15km. Then life sort of happened... as it does and seriously cut into my training time. This has been a stop go process. I hate blaming time. But I could really use some more. I don’t need more than 24 hours in a day. I just need the sun to set later. Guess that can be solved with a move to Cape Town. But I’ll do it. I was hoping to feel good while doing it, but I’ll settle for surviving it and a medal. 10 November is the day.

6.    Be divorced.
This is happy and sad thing to have as a “goal”. But about 4 years overdue and needed. Not at all what I had planned with my life. But I’m am definitely not just staying married to stick to some plan a 18 year old me mapped out. Just to set the record straight, I am not cancelling that part of my life plan. Just need to go back to the drawing board. This time I know me. I’m still a romantic, and I still love.. love. The person, let’s call him X, is out of the country again. He was going to bring me the signed forms for about 4 weeks.. never did. At least there is progress. As soon as I get those pesky signed forms all I need is a court date. Then I can update my non-existent Facebook relationship status from nothing to single. Why? Because I can.
The rest in short: Dates, walls painted red, karaoke, spa day, bookshelves, kisses in rain, promises and festivals.
Most of these are depended on others. I need a house for my bookshelves (and I have acquired quite a lot more books). Music festivals –we do go to most of the big concerts nowadays, so I met this goal in a way. I also doubt my dad would love it if I paint a wall in his house. But maybe I can run it pass him.
Divorce will mean I can get back in the dating pool again which might work out to kisses in the rain. My plan was not to be serious about it. Our puddle of available fishes in my group of friends are seriously depleted. Everyone is married. And no one knows any single suitable men. So I wanted a few random, not have to go anywhere dates. Just to get back into the race, or groove.. Whatever it is called these days.  I’ve even changed the way I look for work for this! I need a big company. Lots of people + those people know lots of people = someone has to know my fish!
I still hope that once I put up my shelves for my books I don’t end up there myself!













No comments:

Post a Comment