Thursday 12 April 2012

What is in a name?

I have been blessed and cursed with a name that is equal parts hard to say and spell. It is of course, the ultimate ice breaker, and makes it easy to flirt with me (thinking of the one time this has happened the past 5 years to flatter myself). My normal response is correcting the person twice, and if I won't see you again, I will just go with whatever you call me. I've responded to Minenta, Monanto, Meenanta, even once a Melissa. As the penguins in Madagascar: Just nod and smile, just nod and smile.






The inspiration behind this post is what has been happening this past few weeks. It has happened no less than four times that people come up to me, greet me, and here is the confusing part: they say my name 100% correct. This just doubles my guilt of not recognising them. Some seemed vaguely familiar, others I just couldn't place at all. And I pride myself on being good with names and faces. Well, at least faces.

Kind of makes me expect to see the Punked cameras jump out from behind the bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment